Equality and Diversity Policy
Hartington Nether Quarter Parish Council is committed to providing and promoting equal opportunities, eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst our community. To that end the purpose of this policy is to provide equality and fairness for all and not to discriminate on grounds of gender, marital status, race, ethnic origin, nationality, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, religion or age. We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination and propose to treat everyone equally.
As an employer
Our aim is that our workforce will be truly representative of all sections of society and each employee feels respected and able to give of their best.
All employees, whether part-time, full-time or temporary, will be treated fairly and with respect. Selection for employment, promotion, training or any other benefit will be on the basis of aptitude and ability. All employees will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the workforce will be fully utilised to maximise the efficiency of the organisation.
- To create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all our staff are recognised and valued.
- Every employee is entitled to a working environment that promotes dignity and respect to all. No form of intimidation, bullying or harassment will be tolerated.
- Training, development and progression opportunities are available to all staff.
- Equality in the workplace is good management practice and makes sound business sense.
- We will review all our employment practices and procedures to ensure fairness.
- Breaches of our equality policy will be regarded as misconduct and could lead to disciplinary proceedings.
- The policy will be monitored and reviewed annually to ensure it is compliant with current equal opportunities legislation and utilises, as far as is practicable, Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) guidelines and best practice.
As a community leader and advocate
- We are committed to creating a socially inclusive and cohesive community by Promoting equal opportunity and equal access to employment, services and information. (FOI Policy)
- Respecting the diversity of our community.
- Working in partnership with others to ensure that the parish of Hartington Nether Quarter is a safe place in which to live, work or visit.
- Listening and responding to the views of our communities through appropriate and widespread consultation and participation mechanisms, which are accessible to all.
- Ensuring the communications we produce and the events we hold positively reflect and promote the diversity of our communities and are made fully accessible.
As a service provider
- We are committed to ensuring that our services are accessible to all and responsive by:
- Ensuring our customers are aware of our services and that we deliver our services in ways that are sensitive to customers’ needs.
- Ensuring that all those in the community are able to access all land which belongs to the Parish Council, where possible.
- Ensuring that the information we provide about our services is accessible to our community.
- Holding regular Parish Council meetings where the public have time at the start of the meeting to express any concerns or views.
As a procurer of goods and services
We are committed to ensuring that those contractors and others from whom we procure goods and who deliver our services share and implement our equality vision and values by:
- Demonstrating that all practicable steps are being taken to allow equal access and equal treatment in employment and service delivery for all, as appropriate to the nature of the contract concerned.
Adopted July 2017